There are seasons that are hard. I just don’t feel right. Discouragement comes easy. The dark cloud looms and lingers.
I begin searching for what’s missing. Maybe if I start running, or eat better I will feel better about myself? Or, am I lonely and just need to find a new friend? Get more sleep? A better schedule? Time alone? A date night?
I’ll try a few things, and when the newness wears off I turn to what energize me. Teaching the Word, blogging, time with good friends, time alone to plan. While they do help recharge me, they will never be enough.
9 Bible verses for discouragement
Only God’s word brings me life.
- My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word! Psalm 119:25
- Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. Psalm 119:37
In uncertainty, His word alone is my good counsel.
- Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors. Psalm 119:24
- Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105
When my soul cries out, His promises alone bring comfort.
- This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. Psalm 119:50
- Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble. Psalm 119:165
Though there are moments of overwhelming sorrow, His word under-girds with strength.
- My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word! Psalm 119:28
His mercy and grace is what I truly need. Not a smaller jeans size, or a better organized house. Not a new friendship or time to myself. He is my missing piece.
- Let your mercy come to me, that I may live; for your law is my delight. Psalm 119:77
- Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your way with those who love your name. Psalm 119:132
Which verses do you cling to when the dark cloud looms?