FOCUSed15 Podcast – Episode #14 (Season 2)
Not one of us tries to do take a verse out of context, yet we all inevitably do. We might read into a verse something that it wasn’t intended to speak into. Other times we miss important key truths the original author meant to be understood from his words. We forget to keep in mind the reason the words were penned in the first place. There is much that goes into a careful interpretation of Scripture, but it doesn’t need to be complicated. Listen in for a few quick tips for keeping the context in view when you read and study any verse of the Bible.
IN THIS PODCAST EPISODE YOU’LL HEAR ABOUT:
- Why we need to keep the context of each book of the Bible in mind when we study a verse.
- A real-life example of why context is important for interpreting the meaning of words.
- Several helpful tips for figuring out the context of each book of the Bible.
- A quick and easy context “hack” to begin to understand the context of a verse when you’re looking up a verse in the middle of a book of the Bible.
- Importance of keeping all verses not only within the context of the book, but also within the whole counsel of Scripture.
Links below may include affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I receive a small portion of your purchase. Thanks!
- Study Bibles (We both use the ESV Study Bible – A great resource to keep the context in mind. Includes all the basic info you would need to know about a book (author, audience, aim) and more.
- Online sites to find outline of book: BibleStudyTools.com, BlueLetterBible.org, Bible.org
HOW TO LISTEN TO THIS CHRISTIAN PODCAST:
You have many options for listening in. Simply choose your favorite from below.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Just click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen from an app on your smartphone, iPad or iPod– For iDevice users, click here to access the podcast and subscribe in iTunes. If you don’t have an Apple device, you can listen with the Stitcher app. You’ll have access to new episodes on either app as soon as they are published.
3. Listen from your computer via iTunes or Stitcher. Just click here to access the podcast in iTunes or here to listen from the Stitcher website. Once you subscribe to the podcast, new episodes will show up in your iTunes and/or Stitcher dashboard.