I’m so excited for these new prayer request bookmarks!
For a long time my prayers were limited to the few memorized prayers modelled by others. Thank you for this food. . . We praise you for the blessings you’ve given us. . . Forgive me of my sins. . . Be with me today. . . Give me strength. . . My prayers had a tendency to sound the same, as I was simply parroting what I’d heard from others. These words seemed neither effective or very “spiritual” but it was all I knew.
Through the ministry of Cru I learned much about what prayer can and should be. From the posture of my heart and how to base my prayers in Scripture, to practical how-to’s and the theology surrounding it all—the teaching and training I received during my college years opened up a whole new world to my prayer life.
Lately, I’ve been convicted of my lack of faithful, persistent prayers and my soul has been stirred toward praying more and more specific, Biblical prayers for myself, my family, my church, and the world around me. I’ve been collecting references and lists and beginning to gather together some sort of system in order to enjoy a more faithful and purposeful communion with God. I’m hoping to have everything settled by the new year, and as I gather and organize, I will share my lists with you!
Heart Prayers for the Lost
The first list available is prayers for the lost. With the holidays around the corner, many will be interacting with and getting extra time with family members and friends who are without Christ. I’ve titled these prayers “Heart Prayers” as each request is geared toward God changing the hearts of those who need Him.
Here are 7 Biblical prayers to pray for those who need Christ:
- Compassion – Mark 6:34: Jesus, give me your heart of compassion for the lost around me — especially those who are difficult to love.
- Enlightenment – 2 Corinthians 4:4: God, remove the blinders that keep them from seeing the light of the gospel and the glory of Christ.
- Clarity – 1 John 5:20: God, give them understanding, so that we would know that you are the true God and the only way to eternal life.
- Receptiveness – Acts 16:14: God, open their heart to hear and be attentive to your teaching and calling.
- Protection – Hebrews 13:9: Lord, I ask that they would not be led away by diverse and strange teachings; strengthen their heart by grace
- Repentance – 2 Corinthians 7:10: God, grant those who are far from you a godly grief that produces a genuine repentance that will lead to salvation.
- Satisfaction – Psalm 16:11: Father, show them that your presence will bring fullness of joy. Only through you can they experience lasting pleasure.
Over time, my hope is that these Scriptural prayers become engrained on my heart and embedded in my mind, so that whenever I think of a lost friend or family member, these prayers are ready to go, even if I am not in front of my prayer journal.
I’ve created a pretty bookmark for you to print out and use in your prayer journal! This resource (along with TONS of others) are free for my newsletter subscribers. Just fill out the form below and I’ll send you the link right away.
On My Shelf: Prayer Resources
Links below contain affiliate program links. At no extra cost to you, I receive a portion of your purchase. Thanks for your support!
- Pray With Your Eyes Open: Looking at God, Ourselves, and Our Prayers, Dr. Richard Platt
- Praying the Bible, Donald Whitney
- Val Marie Paper Undated Prayer Journal (currently using)
- Val Marie Paper 2018 Prayer Journal (will be using in 2018 and I can hardly wait!!)
What prayers do you pray for the lost? Share them in the comments so we can add those requests to our lists!